Monday, February 9, 2015

28 Day Challenge....Day 5

Untitled



La pizza! It is almost a sin how much of this I ate.  And it's all plants, no oil, no bad stuff.  
I took this recipe off of Engine2 with a few upticks.  I like it because the crust is gluten-free and love the combination of fruit and veggies.  The crust is made from polenta.  I did learn a few things about baking it.  1.  Spread it thin, like ¼'' thin.  Mine was ½'' and it was a little  wet in the middle.  2. Bake it 20 minutes instead of 10 on the first bake.  I did this because I like crispy edges.

My Beef with Meat Pavlov's Pizza  My way

Ingredients:
3-4 cups water (depending on your brand of polenta)
1 cup polenta
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
16 oz. no oil pasta sauce like Trader Joe's
2 cups fresh spinach ( I used blanched collards, cut into strips.)
1 cup frozen pineapple tidbits
½ cup roasted red peppers ( I used frozen pepper strips.)
(Other favorite pizza toppings: artichokes, sliced red onion, mushrooms)
I added the "meatballs" that I sliced into ¼'' slices.
1/3 cup nutritional yeast (I added ½ parmesan like sunflower/yeast sprinkle)
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Prepare pizza stone by sprinkling with corn meal.
3. To boiling water, add polenta, garlic powder, onion powder and salt.  Whisk until mixture thickens and there are no clumps (instructions for preparing polenta vary from brand to brand -check the specific preparation instructions for your type of polenta)
4. Pour polenta mixture onto pizza stone or pan and flatten into desired crust shapes.  Make it ¼'' thick.
5. Precook the polenta crusts for 20 minutes
6. Remove crusts from oven, add sauce, sprinkle with nutritional yeast/parmesan like sprinkle, toppings.
7. Return to oven and cook in oven for 18-20 minutes until edges turn golden.
8. Slice into generous portions and serve warm
*Tip: Precook the vegetables before placing on the pizza, if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment