Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I want to have clean living, too!

Wouldn't it be great if you could manufacture in your own living space the energy that you need to do all the things you need to do each day?  Capturing those little bits of light into computers, microwaves, ovens, washers and dryers, pumpkin night lights and whatever tickles your fancy.  Like the fairy godmother in Cinderella with her wand that could light her way, I would like to have that possibility to channel energy for use.  I would invest in a neighborhood energy source, rather than building some huge energy producer miles away that has to run miles of high voltage wires.

But, I don't know enough yet to make it happen.  I am looking forward to understanding that for myself and my home. Here is what I do know.  You have to take first steps for everything.  So, I am putting that in place by trying to understand how to undo bad habits that I have gotten into over the years.  And I guess that is how you get there.  First steps, from the homepower magazine is seeing:

The Big Picture
Energy efficiency is always the most affordable and environmentally sound place to start when approaching renewable energy. By doing something as simple as swapping out incandescent lightbulbs with compact fluorescents, you can decrease the number of PV modules needed to power your lighting by up to 75 percent. This principle applies to all choices you make as you use energy. Focusing on the demand side first will always be your best bet.
Think through your renewable energy choices carefully, evaluating where best to spend your money. Look at your energy appetite and needs, your site, and the resources available to you. As you move towards less and less reliance on nonrenewable energy, you´ll be gaining some independence from the utility companies, reducing your monthly bills, and minimizing the impact our energy use has on the environment.


Pebble 3: We will change all the light bulbs in the house with the compact fluorescent bulbs.






Note on Pebble 2:  I love the electric warmth in our bed.  You should give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment