Saturday, September 26, 2009

Life in the Garden

Me, most of the time,  I like to look and listen.  I've noticed how looking at things for awhile helps me to figure them out.  Or to love them and let them get me.  Watching is a past time that I have spent a lifetime perfecting.  I like watching people, best.  An author, once said that before he starts writing his novels, he spends days just sitting in his local Wal-Mart watching and listening to people.  Then, he can write.  Interesting idea, because Wal-Mart is definitely a place where you can see a wide variety of folks.


I've seen some of the worst behavior in Wal-Mart of parents yelling at their children. But once I saw a dad hug his teen age son in the parking lot.  They looked like they had just purchased things for him to go off to college.  Wasn't the typical family you'd think about for getting ready for college.  The dad definitely looked as if he worked hard physically everyday.  And his son was kind of wild haired and edgy.  And there, in broad daylight,  this dad took his son in his arms and gave him the biggest bear hug.  It was awesome.


Listening is also a great way to learn.  I'm not sure when it happened, but some years back I started to listen to classical music.  I think it actually began in a painting class.  Something about the music is so freeing to me when I am trying to work on a creative process.  And the best, is listening to it live.  I get that opportunity where I live now, to listen to classical music live played in small venues at the school of music.  


I love to watch people perform in small intimate places.  You get to observe them and it's not spying..it's legit.  Their faces, their bodies move with the music they are playing.  And when it is a small crowd, they let down their guard and you see more of who they are.  You make a connection with an artist when they perform.  They tell you what they know...they share. I get carried away when I listen. It's a beautiful gift.  I like it bunches.  There is something about the classical mode that is very freeing for people.  It's good to be there.


And there was George Pope, flute and Eric Charnofsky, piano at the School of Music Recital Hall at Ohio University.  You can hear them here, http://www.nikolaresanovic.com/Retrogression.mp3.  Though, they didn't play that arrangement for us last evening.  What they did play was Maya with 2 flutes and piano written by Ian Clarke,  a Brit who has been writing new music for about 5 years in the United States, Maya.  This was performed by these two gentlemen with guest performer, Alison Brown Sincoff, who is on the faculty at Ohio University.  And one of my favorites,  Claire de Lune, was part of four pieces by Debussy.  You get the idea...


No comments:

Post a Comment